Here is what I wrote to my praying friends here in Seoul when this accident occured, along with the subsequent updates:
2/9
I took Mika (and Coby) to SCH this morning because Mika was moaning in her sleep almost the entire night. She's been holding her right wrist and saying "owie." The orthopedic doctor had to twist and pull her arm because she couldn't answer his questions, and I felt so helpless to hear her screaming. Coby screamed too.
After two different X-rays, and four different arm-prodding sessions, they told me their diagnosis was inconclusive, that they needed to observe her more before recommending surgery for a dislocated elbow. So we are home now, both kids sleeping, and we will return with Mark to the hospital this afternoon.
Please pray that the doctors will be absolutely sure in their diagnosis, that Mark and I will make a wise decision if it is required of us, and that Mika's pain will be tolerable. Thank you, friends. I'm sure you mothers can identify with how my heart hurts to see her like this, and I want to believe that God has a purpose in even this. Please also pray for my faith.
2/10 Update
After returning to SCH, the doctor again could do nothing for Mika, so we left for the ER at Seoul University Hospital. The pediatrician on call said that Mika's arm was fine but she had a phobia about using it because of the previous pain. She told us to go home and wait. At that point, I was about to cry again, and then Mark stepped up and said we weren't going anywhere until Mika showed some improvement. So they called in the resident specialist. He was the one who finally popped Mika's elbow back into place--the fifth doctor to try. After an hour of observing her, we saw her raise her arm a bit and were sent home, finally putting the kids to bed at 11pm.
Even though at first I was upset about being sent home for an afternoon time-out, I realize now that was a gift from the Lord. I was able to research "pulled elbow" and realize why all the doctors looked like they were twisting Mika's arm so harshly, and when we returned to the hospital, Mark was with us--he is better at being assertive. :)
Please continue to pray that Mika will regain full use of her right arm. She still does most things one-handed and is taking ibuprofen for the pain. My job now is to encourage her to use her right arm more and more. If she is not much improved by tomorrow, I'll take her back to SUH to see the specialist. Thank you to everyone who prayed for us.
2/12 Update
Mika is using her arm more each day. I'm sure she'll be back to cartwheels by the end of the weekend. Just kidding. :) Thanks again for your prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment