08 May 2011

Motherly Thoughts

This is my third year to celebrate motherhood in May. Today has turned into an extended reflection of my 'work' with Malika and Coby as well as my appreciation of my own mom's sacrifice and dedication. Here are a few things my mom did that I definitely want to do with my own children:

1. She stayed home with us until we were in school.
Growing up, I didn't realize this was a huge sacrifice. Of course, as a child, I thought I was easy to care for--the perfect daughter. ;) Now, I understand how much more patience and selflessness are required to spend 100% of my time with my children. I also understand the changes we've had to make to live on a single salary and keep me at home with Mika and Coby. Furthermore, being home is a huge slight on affirmation. Yes, we do get hugs and kisses and 'thank you's for dinner; however, we do not have job evaluations, promotions, and/or public recognition. It's hard to do all this with humility, grace, and joy. I'm so very grateful my mom chose this for us kids. I want to give the same gift to mine.

2. She was all about the homemade.
My mom sews and taught me to sew. She cooks and taught me to cook. She plays the piano and taught me to play. The list goes on, but as I remember more...I realize she is very original. I appreciate that! She works well with her hands and taught me to prize the homemade. Not only is it a money-saving tool to sew and cook and clean, but it also creates a family pride. I would tell my friends "my mom made that!" when pointing out a painted woodwork or a woven basket or an embroidered tablecloth. I hope to continue this heritage, be original, and stir up a family pride in my kids.

3. She helped us explore our interests.
There are three of us: my two brothers and me. Although we tried many of the same things growing up, my mom and dad allowed us to explore our specific interests and pursue them through activities. I was always jumping off the furniture and rolling around on the carpet--so my mom put me in gymnastics. Instead of smothering my energy, she gave me an outlet. I hope I can be like this too...not pressing my interests on Mika and Coby but allowing them to sample different activities and pursue the ones they find most intriguing. I want to give them outlets of expression!

4. She meant business, and we knew it.
Mom didn't need extreme measures to make us behave. She just needed to give us "the look." This is funny now, but I can totally see the value in establishing authority, even in young children. We knew (beyond any doubt) that Mom loved us, but we also knew that Mom would not let us get away with anything. It's necessary for children to have that stability, to have those boundaries. My mom cared too much to let things slide. I want to follow that example, especially now as I deal with Mika's terrible twos.

My list can continue...maybe I will add a bit more each Mother's Day. I totally appreciate my mom and what gifts she gave us: her unknowing and sometimes unappreciative children. As a mother now myself, I hope to carry on that legacy of a godly, good mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment