19 February 2012

30: Maturity Speaks

I've been 30 for a little over a month now and have pondered its significance: Am I now mature? When we say God created a mature world, we assume Adam and Eve were 30. Jesus Christ began his earthly ministry when he was 30. And American Presidents have to be just a bit over 30. What is it about this age? Do we assume people realize certain truths by the time they reach this milestone?

To test my theory, I've gathered a few truths that have stuck with me recently. Maybe they will qualify me as mature. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Every child is different. Compare them to others only when absolutely necessary and with extreme caution.
2. To have a good marriage, I must work at it daily. I must study my husband and love him in the way he appreciates and recognizes it.
3. A clean house is nice, but it must be secondary to the kids living in it.
4. Living for Christ means submitting to His will and His word (which never contradict). This may mean taking a near-invisible role instead of an impressive one.
5. The answer to every conflict is to draw nearer to God. As I come closer to my Maker, He changes me into a better person who can then make wiser decisions and stronger relationships.
6. The best way to study the Bible is contextually. So many verses are taken out of context! (I'll blog more about this another time.)
7. Judge believers. (Expect and encourage the fruit of the Spirit.)
8. Do not judge nonbelievers. (Realize they do not have the Spirit's discernment or guidance.)
9. Journal or tweet or blog. (Somehow, I must capture these moments, days, years. It's good to remember!)
10. Make time to sit still with God. I need to quiet myself and listen...

I will probably add to this list later. After all, I'm only going to get older!