15 April 2012

Sleep Matters

Mika and Coby have been noticeably more irritable of late. They do have colds, which may account for some of the attitude, but I realized today that they are also lacking a chunk of sleep.

Since Coby moved into Mika's room, their knock-out time at night got pushed to a later hour. Normally, we would have them both in bed in separate rooms at 7:30. We still aim to have them in bed by then, but it's been a challenge to have them quiet and still. For the first week, Mark and I struggled with frustration as wakeful kids sometimes made it until 9:30 before finally collapsing into sleep. It's gotten better with practice and discipline, but they are still losing some of their evening sleep in the transition adjustment.

Then, this week, spring hit. It seemed like the sun decided to rise much earlier (literally) overnight! For three mornings in a row, the kids have been awake and playing (near my sleepy head) at or before 6am. I remember with nostalgia those winter mornings that could stretch to 8...and do thank God that I was able to snatch those precious extra hours of dozing during my second trimester of pregnancy.

Because last night was especially hard and this morning particularly early, Mika and Coby were deprived of four hours of their normal 12-hour nighttime sleep. How difficult! They were like little basket cases: moping, whining, crying, fighting, and clinging to Mark and me. Sleep matters!

I totally see the effect on me as well. I was a grumpy mommy this morning--probably most mad at the sun for daring to show its rays so early. Sleep matters for us all. I'm realizing more and more that I need to prioritize rest as a mother. As a pregnant woman, this is even more important, but even if I wasn't expecting, I can't afford to have sleep deprivation affect my moods since my moods affect my children. Sleep and rest must be a priority--not an excuse for laziness, of course, but definitely placed before online surfing, reading, and even housework that can wait.

And I'm also going to look into sewing black-out curtains for the kids' room.