15 June 2012

10 Brief Christian Biographies

10 People Every Christian Should Know10 People Every Christian Should Know by Warren W. Wiersbe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Surprised at some negative reviews for this book (after having read it myself and really liked it), I reflected on why a series of short biographies would not be intriguing to other Christian readers. I came to the unfortunate conclusion that many believers prefer flashy, public, and radical leaders. I do not mean to convey that all present preachers are of this category, but too many do rely on fame and numbers rather than a quiet, humble faith. Those who disliked this book desired to read more of social change, large congregations, bestsellers, and giant revivals. However, Wiersbe chose 10 believers who sought God in stillness, followed His leading despite obscurity, and desired nothing of this world except the salvation of its lost. He is right to uphold them as role models, to remind us of what God desires in His children.

The book itself is an introduction to these characters. Wiersbe offers numerous references for further study and does well at encouraging readers to pursue more reading (sermons, memoirs, biographies) to challenge one's faith. The ten people are as follows:
1. Matthew Henry
2. Jonathan Edwards
3. John Henry Newman
4. J.B. Lightfoot
5. J. Hudson Taylor
6. Charles H. Spurgeon
7. Dwight L. Moody
8. Amy Carmichael
9. Oswald Chambers
10. A.W. Tozer

In *The Pursuit of God*, Tozer writes this prayer: "Be Thou exalted above my comforts. Though it mean the loss of bodily comforts and the carrying of heavy crosses I shall keep my vow made this day before Thee. Be Thou exalted over my reputation. Make me ambitious to please Thee even if as a result I must sink into obscurity and my name be forgotten as a dream. Rise, O Lord, into Thy proper place of honor, above my ambitions, above my likes and dislikes, above my family, my health and even my life itself. Let me decrease that Thou mayest increase, let me sink that Thou mayest rise above." I found this prayer to be exemplary of how these people lived their lives. If you find it inspirational, you will enjoy this book too.

View all my reviews