03 June 2012

Cleaning House

Having a baby away from family involves setting up a babysitting plan for my other two kids, Mika and Coby. Because I was already having labor symptoms at 30 weeks pregnant, I finalized preparations then and have kept them updated throughout the last two months. One of the things to do has been to keep the house relatively uncluttered and clean for the babysitters to come any day.

Let me tell you: this has been hard. Our baby girl is big, and I've never felt this weak or awkward. So to say the least, the broom and mop are not my friends. Picking up toys at the end of the day is not easy. Washing dishes has even become difficult as the belly distances me farther and farther from the sink! Still, although my house is not spotless, it's been kept presentable because the nighttime or daytime sitters could arrive on any given day, and I'd hate to rush past them with a quick "sorry for the mess" and hope they can find my two toddlers amidst the piles of trash.

I'm really not complaining. I'm thankful for the incentive!

Then today I started thinking about the parallels of my guilt-cleaning for unanticipated guests to how we are supposed to be vigilant and ready for Christ's return. Matthew 24:42 says, "Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming." Jesus then tells three parables about being ready for His return--that we are to be faithful, sensible, prepared, prudent, and responsible.

Confused, I couldn't reconcile the frustration I felt with readying my home for visitors to the supposed joy of awaiting the blessed Bridegroom described in chapter 25. Then, I realized that there are a few hormonal factors in my case that complicate the comparison. I am cleaning out of an uncharacteristic guilt. When I would normally tend to our home with the motivation of providing a better living space for our family, I've lowered my standards during pregnancy and expected/accepted less of my usual industry. If I could have somehow hoarded my previous ambition for the now-needed cleaning, it would be easy instead of a chore. I would already be keeping the house clean...

In the same way, preparing for Christ's return should not feel like a strain or forced ritual. We should not feel embittered about his unannounced coming, wishing He would give us a date so we could clean up things before His arrival. Instead, as motivated followers and love-driven disciples, we are already in the process of sanctification. We are already desiring to be more Christ-like, seeking His purification, and setting ourselves apart as "Holy to the Lord." This is what being a Christian should be like every day: a consistent and joy-filled journey to the person of Jesus...to knowing Him and being known by Him.

I pray that I do not become lackadaisical about cleaning up my life as I've lately become about cleaning up my house. If so, the drudgery with which I would look forward to my Savior's return would be torture in itself--like an imposition or intrusion! I hope my prayer will always be an echo of the beloved disciple: "Even so, come, Lord Jesus."