The Revolutionary King by William StevensonMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
"We love the King!" is the motto of current Thailand, yet many do not know the background nor the struggles of their beloved monarch. Because he is considered a deity by his people, anything that may hint at flawing his image is taboo. While I agree that the Ninth Rama is extraordinary, I believe that knowing the facts given in this book would only magnify the respect and awe that his people have for him (as it has done for me).
Earlier this year, I reviewed another book on a Thai monarch: the popular memoir Anna and the King of Siam. I found that book to be outrageously condescending; however, this book by William Stevenson is written with a much more appropriate tone. He knows the king personally and conducted interviews with his family and inner court. Stevenson's personal knowledge along with his extensive experience as a journalist creates a narrative that is both respectful and thorough. He has an obvious admiration for the king; however, he doesn't deify him as the Thai people do.
As I read this book, I would bring up topics with my Thai friends and discovered consistently that they do not know these things but are interested nonetheless. Facts about the king's mother, his brother Ananda who served as the Eighth Rama, his initial struggles as a limited monarch and how he gained power and favor with his people--these are all fascinating! And of course, his story continues...
View all my reviews