Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse FitzpatrickMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
What a life changer! Well, since my life is currently focused on my young children, this book was a life changer for me. How did I not see the obvious parallel of me receiving grace from my Parent and me giving grace as a parent? It's not about eliminating discipline; instead, the book emphasizes bringing in the gospel at all opportunities, reiterating God's presence, help, involvement, etc. during great Kodak moments and also in those tough teeth-grinding moments.
As for the writing, it was extremely down-to-earth, which moms love. Don't give me romantic language or dense text when I'm probably stealing a read during nap time! Seriously, Elyse and Jessica are honest about their own methods, mistakes, and advice. They are also clear on what they think about other parenting books: They disagree with anything that doesn't emphasize the gospel. I love that. Let's not get pragmatic about parenting, meanwhile the Bible gets buried under tell-me-how-to raise-my-kids books.
Here are some noteworthy quotes:
"We are not nor can we be the saviors of our children. He is the Savior. When we forget this, our parenting will be pockmarked by fear, severity, and exhaustion."
"We hinder our children from enjoying God's embrace when we teach them that their religious activity and obedience elevates them out of the category of sinner in need of mercy."
"Giving grace to children is an exercise of faith, and faith is always more difficult than works."
I see now how my parenting was primarily LAW, and while this is necessary, it is also dangerous when divorced from the gospel. My children need to learn that they do not become "good" by obeying just like I do not become "good" by following the rules of the adult world. Romans 3:23 says "All have sinned..." and no one is declared righteous apart from Jesus Christ. This message is liberating and must permeate my being: my own self first and subsequently my relationships, my parenting.
Note: I read this book simultaneously with The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur, and I totally recommend doing so.
View all my reviews