11 August 2010

Diaper-free Delay

Yesterday was my first attempt at potty training Mika. After breakfast, I put her pretty panties on her and explained the little potty. About 30 minutes later, I had her sit on her potty. She was so uncomfortable that I brought the laptop in the bathroom to show her a cartoon: The Little Einsteins. We sat through 2 1/2 episodes, and she still hadn't gone to the bathroom! So...I risked leaving her for just one minute so I could change out of my pajamas and check on napping Coby.

OF COURSE, in that minute I was gone, Mika slipped off the potty and pee-ed on the bathroom floor!

Over the next few hours, Mika had four more accidents throughout the house, even though we visited the potty often. The last time, she crawled up onto her diaper changing station and pee-ed there. This is when I decided she might not be ready. My friends advised me not to force Mika if she herself is not interested in being free from diapers.

So we're going to wait until the end of volleyball season. This way, her daily babysitters won't have to worry about potty training her either. Mika seemed much happier when she was put back in diapers anyway. Admittedly, I felt defeated for a while, but now I realize that it's not an utter failure...just a delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment