Yesterday, I ran into an old friend at the mall. As she held her 5-month-old baby girl, she told me it was her last night off before the fall semester begins for her as a high school teacher. She said, "I'm so glad that [a good babysitter] is watching my baby, but I'm so mad that it's not me."
Then this morning, a different FB friend posted how she is crying right now because she has just returned to work after maternity leave and misses her baby boy.
Oh...the Lord knew I needed these reminders of how blessed I am to be home with my two toddlers. It's so very hard to afford such a 'luxury' now in our world's suffering economy, but I've been gifted with this role as a stay-at-home mom. Still, so many days pass when I am not bursting with appreciation for the absolute time I have with my children. Of course, it's hard to be grateful when they are pushing me to the edge of my sanity, but when they're asleep at night and I gaze at their peaceful faces, I can think back to everything they did that day and whisper a heart-felt and loaded 'thank you' to God.
A few times during our vacation in Hawaii, I noticed Mika doing something new that I hadn't taught her. On one night, she started circling us family members and saying "duck, duck, goose!" Another time, she successfully counted from 1 to 9 without mixing up the numbers. I was so surprised and proud of her, but at the same time I felt a tinge of jealousy as I realized I had not been the one to guide her to these discoveries. My parents have been so kind to babysit for us numerous times in the last few weeks, and it has given me the break I needed; still, I know a hint now of what it must be like to have another person influencing my children. Again, the Lord is gently reminding me that my role at home is unique and special, and that I need to be more thankful for and creative with the job that He has given me with my young kiddos.
A-hah! And Mika and Coby are awake and calling for me. I need to get back to 'work'... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment